Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows




Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a great book about adventure and fantasy. I give this book two thumbs way up. I love the whole Harry Potter series, but this one is by far my favorite. This book is the seventh and final book in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. This book is about Harry, Ron and Harmionie looking for Voldemort's horcuxes and trying to kill him. Unfortunately, Voldemort is setting out to kill Harry at the same time. He comes really close, but Harry always escapes it. Now Voldemort has turned everyone against Harry, and so he has to go into hiding with Ron and Harmionie.

I think that the main conflict in this story is very simple, Voldemort's alive. By being in constant danger, the kids hhad to miss school. They would not have to go into hiding, or die, they would be able to do different things like, go back to school. They solve this conflict by learning that Voldemort has something called horcuxes. Horcuxes are objects that you make your soul possess, so you can not die until all your horcuxes are destroyed. Horcuxes basicly make you imortal until they are destroyed.

One theme that J.K. Rowling expressed was courage. Everyone in this book has courage, even the lesser characters. The house elf, the Death Eaters, the Ministry of Magic, all desplaycourage. Harry is brave enough to accept death when it came to him, he knew what he had to do, when he was in the Forbidden Forest. Another major theme in this book is being witty and smart. Harry, Ron and Harmionie are so cleaver to hide for months even though they werethe most wanted wizards in England. They were never caught too, so I think that J.K. Rowling made these characters very smart.

There are two major characters in this book they are Harry and Ron. They are seventeen, and they are wizards. I like Harry, but he sounds really ugly. He has round glasses and brown hair, he also has a lighting-bolt scar on his forehead. Ron sounds pretty ugly too, he has red hair with freckles.

I don't really think that I like Harry very much, he doesn't seem like the kind of person that I would be friends with. He is too adventurous for me, I would be friends with the person that says "We can get in trouble if we do that," so I don't really like him. If I were Harry, I would be less adventurous then he is.

In the future, I think that someone will kill Harry, maybe Draco or his son. I predict it will be a Death Eater. I also predict that he will have sons and they will be just like him. I hope that J.K. Rowling will make another book about his sons going to Hogwarts and doing things that Harry used to do. What do you predict judging by what you read so far?

If I were Ron, I would dress differently, and I would also try not to act how he normally does, like when he says "blimey." So I'm not crazy about Ron either. If I were Ron, I would
change the way that I walk and talk, because I just don't like it. I would also not follow Harry and not go to school, to kill Voldemort.

I predict that in the future, Ron will not act like a geek, and will get married to Harmionie. In some cases, I hope that my predictions come true and in other cases I do not. I also predict Ron's wife will have children, and they would be best friends, just like Harry and Ron. I really hope that my predictions come true!

I really loved this book because it's long, it keeps my interest, and it is very well written. It is
like J.K. Rowling used the Seven Ways to be a Highly Proficient Reader except in writing. I really like long books because they don't end when normal books do. When a really good book ends, I get disappointed, and I feel like I missed something. In long books that never happens. These books can occupy me for ever, I never want to stop reading. I do not like the characters only because I can't relate to them, most everything else in the book is great for me.

Somethings about the book that I didn't like were the characters, the setting, and the names. I hated the names of everything because they were all long odd names. There are almost n0 easy to remember names in that book. I also don't like the setting in this book because every three pages it changes. It gets annoying sometimes because you have no idea where they are and what they are doing there. I also don't like some of the characters because they don't share any common interests with me. So I probably wouldn't hangout with them if I had a choice.

Some things in the book aren't my favorite, but somethings I absolutely love. Fortunately my "love" list is longer than my "don't like" list. So overall I love this book. It's just so well-written I love it.

I used a couple of the 7 Habits of a Highly Proficient Reader, and one was I made connections to the book. This book made me remember the other Harry Potter books and throughout the story,I liked to compare them. In the third book it explained Harry's past better than this one. That is a book to book connection. Another connection that I made was I remember camping out in my cousin Michele's backyard and it was scary, I can't imagine how scared they were camping out in the woods all alone. That is a book to life connection.

Another strategy that helped me read this book was making mental images in your head. I created a picture of Hagrid carrying Harry through the Forbidden Forest crying. That was a picture that I created in my head. I also created a movie in my head in the beginning of the book when they duplicated Harry, and there were six Harry's' flying on brooms in different directions.
I questioned the book too. I predicted parts of the book... I predict that Voldemort is going to die in the end. I also asked questions when I did not understand a part of the story like when they apperated to Hogsmade and were found by Death Eaters. I questioned the book of what was going on and then I re-read the whole three pages that I missed and then I understood it the second time better than I did my first.

I really like this author J.K. Rowling. She also wrote Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, I like mostly everything that the author does especially her use of descriptive words. She is my favorite author!

No comments: